Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Top Moments of the GP Era: #4

The 2010 TCU Horned Frogs were a team built to redeem the program where it had fallen short in previous seasons. Before they could get back to the BCS (and win this time), they had to exorcise the demons of 2008 first. That meant returning to the scene of the nightmare finish in Salt Lake City two years previous, when a BCS berth and the conference championship were lost to Utah. The same things were on the line on November 6, 2010 when #3 TCU took on #5 Utah in a battle of undefeated teams at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

Part of the pain of the '08 loss to the Utes was knowing that the Frogs were the better team and had beaten themselves. The game was theirs for the taking, but they never put it away and let Utah hang around before stealing it late. There would be no question about who the dominant team was this day, however. Andy Dalton calmly led the Frogs on a 9-play, 80-yard scoring drive that took 4:46 off the clock and was punctuated by a Dalton-to-Boyce 26-yard touchdown pass on 3rd & 6.

The two teams traded punts for the next few possessions, with the Utes' second turn on offense ending with a 67-yard punt that pinned the Frogs at their own 7. On the first play of the drive, though, Dalton again found Josh Boyce, who slipped a tackle at about midfield and raced to the endzone for a crowd-silencing 93-yard touchdown to make it 14-0. Five plays into the Utes' next possession, Wayne Daniels sacked Utah QB Jordan Wynn- forcing a fumble that was recovered by DJ Yendrey. On the very next play, Jeremy Kerley lined up at quarterback and found Bart Johnson over the middle for a touchdown pass that gave the Frogs a 21-0 lead at the end of the 1st quarter and left the blacked-out Salt Lake City crowd stunned.

There was no looking back from there. The Frogs led 23-0 at halftime, and then Tanner Brock picked Wynn off on the Utes' first drive of the second half, returning it all the way to the 4 yard line. Ed Wesley scored on the next play to make it 30-0, and Dalton hit Jimmy Young for an 11-yard touchdown to make it 37-0 at the end of the third. The lead eventually swelled to 40-0 before the Utes finally got on the board, but Wayman James scored the game's last touchdown to make the final 47-7.

The win was TCU's first in Salt Lake City, but more importantly it put the nation on notice that the Frogs weren't messing around. Not only did they beat the second-best team in the conference on the road to essentially clinch a second straight title and BCS berth, but they completely annihilated them and turned one of the nation's most anticipated games of the year into a laugher.

1 comment:

HornyFrog said...

you forgot to mention that wynn almost quit football after that game