Well, as expected this was a tough game to stay up and watch coherently with such a late start time and based on attendance numbers (16,745 is what I saw) I’d say even the fans in Vegas had a tough time making it, or at least staying until the end. Let’s be honest- this is a week to focus on
- Favorite play of the night had to be the Colin Jones pick 6 on just about the wobbliest ball ever thrown. This was literally the play after a buddy was telling me how their QB was “pretty good.” People don’t always see things clearly when they’re intoxicated.
- Jeremy Kerley- 2 more TD’s. Ho-hum. I really like the goal line sweep type play when it’s run to Kerley, not so much when it’s run to Antoine Hicks, whose stock is dropping more and more every week.
- Speaking of Kerley, we joked quite a bit about how he was pressing the spin button too much on his X-Box controller. Seriously, I think he’s got more spin moves than any player in college football this season. I wonder if he’s ever rolled off the bed in his sleep…
- Looked to me like they gave Ed Wesley somewhat of a breather this week after his workmanlike 28 carries last week. Ed still looked like Ed, but he just had 14 touches and we went back to spreading it around to all of the backs.
- Stock up- Waymon James and Aundre Dean, who both looked really solid spelling Wesley. Stock down- Matthew Tucker, who hasn’t been the same back this year as he was a year ago, and seemed to have Joseph Turner fumble-itis Saturday. He cost us a TD, but I’ll address that more later.
- Special teams was pretty meh. Kerley with -3 return yards on punts, McCoy one solid kick return, and only 1 punt. In what was most likely the cruelest bit of toying with my emotions in a blowout, however, was Ross Evans missing his LAST EXTRA POINT BEFORE HEADING TO UTAH!!! Ross Evans, you are the Derek Holland of TCU.
- Shocked to see that the 54 yarder from
to Boyce was our longest play of the year, but good God can Josh Boyce fly? I love that guy. Just another speedy playmaker to add to the mix. Dalton
- Bart Johnson- 31 games in a row with a catch. Wow.
- Why do people continue to throw the ball anywhere near Jason Teague?
- For all the Andy Dalton haters that continue to exist out there- 16-23, 252, 2 TD’s to go along with 1 rushing TD. He may not be flashy, but he’s exactly what we need. If I hear one more person say how
sucks I’m going to declare jihad on them. Dalton
- Congrats to Casey Pachall on his first TD (I think). Also, he threw 2 passes, doubling his career total. Can we please throw him more in games like
and hopefully SDSU? I’ve seen what Garrett Gilbert has done it New Mexico , so it would be nice to get him some reps. Texas
- 3 fumbles, Wesley, Tucker and
. Wesley and Tucker lost theirs. For a team that has done a great job hanging on to the ball, this is a bit alarming going into Dalton and must be fixed. Utah
- What’s the point of having instant replay if you’re going to get it wrong, TWICE? Tucker fumbled pretty clearly on his carry up the middle, even though somehow the replay official got it wrong, which really pissed off UNLV’s coach. And then it appeared to me and my blurred vision and drunken stupor that Matthew Tucker not only broke the plane of the end zone with the play they called a fumble, but he actually slammed the ball down on the goal line. Last I checked the ground can’t cause a fumble, especially if you’re in the end zone, but whatever.
That’s all I’ve got for the UNLV game, and I don’t really think anyone cares because now it’s time to focus on