So, seeing as how this is a TCU blog, I suppose news pertaining to SMU is fair game and should've been noted several days ago when it happened. Anyway, as most of you probably know by now, SMU hired ex-Hawaii, NFL retread coach June Jones to further the downward spiral that is the Mustang Football program. June, June, June, you're an idiot, but I've got to respect your logic: At least we know he's solely, unabashedly in it for the $$$. Somehow SMU PONIED UP $10 million over five years for Jones to continue to completely crush the spirits of an already depleted fan base. This is mind blowing. SMU, which hasn't been to a bowl game in 20 some odd years, has roughly the same alumni base as TCU, and has about a tenth of the fan base is going to pay a football coach who just got absolutely massacred in a bowl game $2 million per season. This is far more than GP is making, and I hope occurences like this don't end up running him out of town. While I'm not too scared of the DFW Shoot Out or whatever they call it now becoming too competitive in the near future, it's kind of disheartening when your only true rival makes a splash in the coaching scene when your own proven coach can't get paid half of his salary.
There are 2 ways to look at this from an SMU standpoint, and I'll start with the bad.
- No one gives a shit about your football program, including current/former students and current/former players
- He's 55 and a god in Hawaii for what he did with that team, so once that sinking ship the SS Miniature Pony continues to flood, you bet your ass he'll be on the first jet back to Maui.
- No Texas ties, which will hurt his recruiting, which can lead to the above point
- Does he really have name recognition? I know he coached in the NFL for a while, but does a guy who just got slaughtered on national television with a team that was mediocre even in their own weak conference really inspire you?
- You are recruiting from the deepest high school talent pool in the country... but once it gets ransacked by the likes of Texas, A&M, Tech, OU and even LSU these days and sometimes Baylor... have fun filling your roster with a bunch of Renfros and Manfredinis.
- No fan base. Didn't I already mention that? Well, it's worth another look. I've talked to a handful of SMU friends who are EXTREMELY skeptical of this hire... and they won 1 game this past season. A one win team should be excited even if Charlie Weis was given the reins. That's a bad sign.
- Oh yeah, they won ONE game this past season... and it was supposed to be their break out year.
- Forever tainted reputation, which has KILLED the program in recruiting.
- His name is June. That's a diaper wetting grandmothers name. Give him a couple of losing seasons and his fragility will shine.
- Nowhere to go but up!
- They don't tailgate, they boulevard! Eat my fucking feces.
- Rich Sluts
- New fan base will be just as coked up as previous one.
- Get real paid for 3-5 years of losing, then can retire back to Hawaii and sip Mai Tais on the beach for the rest of his life
This should be interesting. Go Frogs. Pony down.